Sitting by the Fire Recipes

Tuesday, January 19, 2016

Y'all, it is freezing outside but you probably didn't need me to confirm that for you. I literally ran to my car in the 19 degree frigid weather this morning and thought I wasn't going to survive. 

Well, it is mid-January and we are expected to (hopefully!) get our first snow fall of the season tomorrow. It's only a 60 percent chance but it still makes me giddy inside. You remember that feeling when you were little where you would dream it would snow just so that you could stay home and play outside with your friends and make snow angels? Well, although my snow days don't look exactly like that anymore, I do enjoy staying inside by the fire, a warm home cooked meal and a bottle of wine! 

| Taken at The Grove Park Inn |

Today I am going to share some of my favorite snow day recipes that make me happy and full! (And, Andrew!) 

| 1 |
Chicken Noodle Soup and Grilled Cheese
I actually made this for dinner tonight and there is nothing else that screams comfort food like this. I've always used my mother's recipe which actually isn't even written down. I basically combine shredded chicken from a rotisserie chicken, 2 large boxes of reduced sodium chicken broth, egg noodles, chicken bouillon base or cubes and salt and pepper to taste. That simple but so good. And, I actually substituted cheese quesadillas for grilled cheese tonight because I only had tortillas on hand. Oh, and loads of sour cream. 

| 2 |
 Chili
Need I say more? The only other thing that makes chili better on a cold day is a skillet full of warm buttered and perfectly sweetened corn bread. The chili recipe is adapted from This Gal Cooks, one of my favorite food bloggers. I actually love beans and do add beans to the recipe but the original is bean free for all of you non-bean lovers out there! 

I love a good, creamy, rich chowder. Something about it just reminds of cold weather. It is so filling and makes for great leftovers as well. This is full of flavor and I promise it won't disappoint!

| 4 | 
Oh goodness. Chicken pot pie is one recipe I've never really conquered, but this crock pot version? Seriously easy and just look at it. Yumm. 

| 5 |
Breakfast for dinner
Or, breakfast for breakfast. Breakfast for lunch or breakfast for dinner. However or whenever you want it, breakfast is always a go-to. This casserole is a new favorite of ours but is comfort food to the max. Pair it with a stack of pancakes and mimosa and you've got yourself one heck of a meal. 

What are your favorite meals that you enjoy cooking on a cold winter's day? 

4 comments :

  1. It's going to be snowing here this weekend so I might be making 1 or all of these haha! xo, Biana -BlovedBoston

    ReplyDelete
  2. When we were in kids in Texas, we would count down the degrees till it COULD snow. Spoiler alert, it only snowed once for us :/ love the list- anything with a crockpot is a friend of my belly!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's been way too cold here lately. I prefer temps in the 70s haha. Chili is my favorite cold weather recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I LOVE sitting by the fire with some delicious tea in a gigantic mug. So soothing and cozy!

    ReplyDelete

Leave your love here!

 
Blog Widget by LinkWithin