Thai Shrimp Soup

Wednesday, January 27, 2016

Happy Hump Day! How is it not Friday already? Speaking of Fridays…you can usually find Andrew and I in our pajamas, watching tv on the couch while inhaling our favorite takeout Thai food. Chicken Pad Thai, Massaman Curry and steamed chicken with vegetables are my go-to Thai dishes. For an appetizer or just a cold night, their red curry soup is to die for. 

As much Thai as we eat (at least once a week), I wanted to attempt my first Thai recipe. It was a cold night and soup just sounded like the best option at that moment. I will definitely be trying more in the future so be on the lookout! 

This red curry shrimp soup was extremely easy to make and took less than 30 minutes to make! And, it's so much healthier than eating out. All of those are a win in my book!

Ready to see the recipe? 


Ingredients:
  • 1 cup Basmati rice, uncooked
  • 2 tablespoons of butter
  • 1 pound of shrimp, peeled and deveined
  • Salt and pepper to taste
  • 1 diced onion
  • 2 cloves of garlic, minced
  • 1 bell pepper (I had orange on hand)
  • 1 tablespoon grated ginger
  • 2 tablespoons of red curry paste
  • 2 cans of unsweetened coconut milk
  • 4 cups of vegetable stock
  • Juice of 1 lime
  • 2 tablespoons of chopped fresh cilantro 
Instructions:
  • Cook the rice according to the package and set aside. 
  • Melt the butter and add the shrimp. Cook for about 3-5 minutes and add salt and pepper to taste. Set aside.
  • Add the onion, bell pepper and garlic. Cook until translucent and fragrant. 
  • Add the ginger and cook for about a minute until well combined. 
  • Whisk in the curry paste and cook until well incorporated. 
  • Slowly add the coconut milk and vegetable stock. 
  • Bring to a boil and then lower the heat to simmer, allowing it to thicken which takes about 10 minutes.
  • Stir in the rice, shrimp, lime juice and cilantro
  • Enjoy!

Get a big bowl and spoon and dig in! What are some of your favorite Thai recipes? 

7 comments :

  1. Sounds delicious. I'm always looking for fun recipes outside of our usual chicken recipes. I'll give this a try and let you know what we think :) Thanks for the recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks so good, but finding curry paste is hard! I'm hoping to sneak into a real spice shop and pick some up!

    ReplyDelete
  3. We had a similar recipe from Blue Apron and it was amazing!! One of my favorites for sure! xo, Biana -BlovedBoston

    ReplyDelete
  4. This looks so good! I've made a few Thai dishes, but never a soup. Bookmarking!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm on a huge soup kick recently and I might just try this one! It's perfect after that cold drive home from work!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ahhh, I love curry and Thai food in general! This looks so yummy!

    xo,
    Abby of Life in the Fash Lane

    ReplyDelete
  7. This sounds so delicious! Thai food is my favorite, but I don't cook it nearly enough!

    ReplyDelete

Leave your love here!

 
Blog Widget by LinkWithin