Dealing with Gestational Diabetes

Tuesday, November 15, 2016

After four long and brutal glucose tests, I was diagnosed with gestational diabetes. 

via 

When we started trying for a baby, I was initially diagnosed with PCOS (polycystic ovarian syndrome) which is basically a hormone imbalance. I was put on medication and it helped maintain it, but it's something that will never go away. So, when diagnosed with that, my doctor told me that I would have a much higher risk of having gestational diabetes. I thought to myself "Ok, sure, you've got to say that to cover yourself." I never actually imagined I would have it. I am healthy, young and eat well. Sure, I'll occasionally make poor decisions regarding my diet, but overall, I'd consider myself healthy. I don't eat a lot of sugars or desserts so I thought that only those who eat a lot of sugars will probably get it. Nope. Has absolutely nothing to do with your eating habits. It is 100% the process of how your body breaks down and processes the sugars you eat. There was nothing I could have done to prevent this, which does make me feel less guilty. 

A few questions you might be wondering:

Why did you have so many tests?
Well, since they knew I was high risk for GD, I was first tested at 20 weeks, which is 8 weeks earlier than the normal time. I drastically failed my first 1 hour test, then passed the first 3 hour test with flying colors. At 28 weeks, I failed my second 1 hour test and then barely failed my 3 hour test by 4 points. So, after 4 tests and tons of blood draws and bruises, I was diagnosed. 

So, what does this mean for the next 10 weeks? 
Well, for starters, I will attend a class this week to go over dietary restrictions and how to live a healthy lifestyle with GD. I will receive tips on what to eat, what not to eat and how often to eat. 

Next, I will check my blood sugars. This involves pricking my finger 4 times a day and keeping a log of my measurements. This is what I am completely dreading the most and get the cold sweats just thinking about it. 

What does it mean for the baby? 
Well, as long as I monitor my diet and make sure my blood sugar levels are stable, she will be fine. She might be a little bigger and might come earlier than 40 weeks, but I'm hoping she is able to stay in there as long as possible and maintain a healthy weight. 

What happens after she is born? 
Well, gestational diabetes should go away as soon as she's born. Isn't that crazy? They will deliver her and immediately check my levels and as long as everything is normal, the diabetes automatically is gone! 

Is there a chance I could get GD with baby #2? 
Yes. I pray not and it is not 100% likely, but I need to be prepared that it can certainly happen again. 

As badly as it sucks to have this (especially during my most favorite holidays, Thanksgiving and Christmas), following a strict diet and logging my numbers are extremely important so that I can continue to maintain a healthy pregnancy. And more importantly, this will directly affect our baby girl and her health.

Thank you to those of you who know what I've been going through and have reached out to me. Thank you to my husband and family for supporting me and drying up my tears! This won't be easy but I'll do anything to ensure that our baby is healthy. 

If you have gestational diabetes or know anyone who has, and you have some helpful tips, please let me know! 

xoxo


5 comments :

  1. I had GD with my first, and didn't have PCOS. I'm also a young, healthy, not overweight 30 year old. It was difficult, but really helped me create some good habits. I also gained less weight than any of pregnant friends. He was 7 lbs 13 oz and I ended up being induced a day after his due date. I'm pregnant with #2, 18 months later, and after taking the one hour test I was 1 point above the threshold! BUT, I happened to have an ultrasound at 29 weeks and baby was measuring big :( So here we go again, I'm testing sugars and following the diet. I've found it's more difficult, probably because I'm more tired having a toddler. But I hope it will get easier.

    You'll get in a groove and find your favorite snacks and what works for you at what mealtimes. I know I can have my sugary drink at lunch but not dinner! Hang in there! You're not alone!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hate that you have to go through this, especially around the holidays but it's a lot more common than most people think and can honestly happen with any pregnancy. Hang in there, girl!!

    xo, Kristina
    Medicine & Manicures

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh no girl! I'm so sorry! Thankful you and baby girl are healthy, and you will totally make it through this rough patch. I know April at http://alizadventures.blogspot.com/ had it with her last baby. She wrote a few posts on it and maybe you can reach out to her for some tips/advice. Hang in there momma!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Girlfriend, it's so much easier than you'd ever think! I have Type 2 and had I gotten pregnant before being diagnosed, I would have had GD. Our bodies are crazy and mysterious!!
    1. Stay away from "diabetic friendly" candies and processed desserts. I was told if you want candy/dessert, have a smaller portion. Those so called friendly candies are full of sugar alcohol which is just as bad as sugar to our bodies.
    2. There's a bread that's labeled for "Heart Healthy" that has less carbs for a 2 piece serving than a 1 piece serving. I think it's Nature's Own Heart Health or something like that. I can't find the exact one but it does exist. Use bagel or sandwich thins to cut down easily. Whole grains and fiber trump just about everything else.
    3. When you go to the classes, take notes! Ask if they can go grocery shopping with you, some will actually do it! Or get a list of the best in each category.
    4. Eat grapes in moderation. Highest sugar fruit (conveniently the my favorite).
    5. Ask for the highest gauge lancets. They're the smallest and least painful.
    6. Listen to your body. You'll quickly be able to tell if your sugars are high or low.
    7. WATER. Drink all the water.

    I could write more but I feel preachy and I don't like that feeling. But feel free to email me if you have any questions.

    And you'll do just fine!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm so sorry to hear this! I thought you were in the clear! I don't have GD, but my husband has Type 1 so if you want any food tips or anything, I'm sure you have it covered, I could talk carbs all day!

    ReplyDelete

Leave your love here!

 
Blog Widget by LinkWithin